Beat the middle-age spread
Middle-age spread – the most common weight related problem experienced by men and women in their thirties! Your food is the same as always, your exercise routine hasn’t changed, yet all of a sudden you have developed this lip of loose skin that flows over your jeans that was never there before. Your body has slowed down, life has got in the way and now you’re facing a spare tyre that has never been an issue before. In this article, I am going to show you how you can avoid it, and surprisingly enough it isn’t as hard as you may think.
First of all, let’s look at what happens in your thirties:
- Your metabolism slows even further, so your body is burning fewer calories.
- You have reduced muscle mass and more fat on your body, again burning less calories.
- Your career can become your focus and you become a work slave, working as hard as you can to move up the corporate ladder, and your lifestyle is severely affected by this.
- Your career can become your focus and you become a work slave, working as hard as you can to move up the corporate ladder and your lifestyle is severely affected by this.
- Or you may have a family, again placing huge time pressure on your life, so that you have less time for yourself. Your sleep patterns are disrupted so that you are seeking more and more high sugar foods.
- Slowly but surely you drift into middle aged suburbia, working a lot, eating high sugar, energy dense foods and going down to the pub on weekends for the eternal beer! This becomes a vicious circle that can prove very hard to get out of
- Until one morning, you look in the mirror and think to yourself, “I don’t know this person”!!
While this may seem a dramatised version of what happens, I can assure you it’s not. Life can go this way unless you make a conscious decision now that you don’t want to go down this route. The most important thing to avoid becoming a middle aged suburbanite is goal setting. Constantly set yourself goals with regard to your health, weight and overall fitness. By setting goals and achieving them you will be more motivated to achieve your next one.
For any fitness level and any age range, goal setting is one of the ways to keep fit for life. By constant challenging of yourself and your fitness levels, you will continue to work towards something. Why not try something new? By now, you will know I am a fan of trying new sports and encouraging others to do the same. What have you got to lose by trying something new, who knows, you might just enjoy it! Don’t be afraid to set goals in your personal life as well. Goal setting in any aspect of your life will force you to focus on achieving that goal. Someone with a plan and a goal will run rings around someone without one!
So why should you exercise in your thirties?
- You can slow down the effect of ageing, by doing something that you won’t have to buy cream for.
- You will speed up your metabolism.
- By expanding calories you will sleep much better.
- For women, you will lessen the effect of PMS.
- You will also lessen the effect of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and various other mild types of depression.
- You will be creating a lifestyle of health, not just a quick fix. Ideally this should be your main goal, to be healthy for life.
So now I have shown you the reasons that you need to exercise, what should you do? To be honest, anything at all, but here are some suggestions:
- Try low impact exercise, better on the joints.
- Walk – as always it is the best thing to do and it’s free.
- Get involved in clubs or groups.
- Get your friends involved, maybe take it in turns to organise something for the weekend?
After all, there is more to life than going to pubs every weekend. We are a country of pub goers who are slowly but surely changing our ways, realizing just how amazing a country that we live in. We are spoilt for choice when it comes to outdoor activities, we just need to realise that they are there, lower our fears and go out and try them! There are fantastic opportunities to keep fit and healthy in this country, we are spoilt for choice, you just have to get up off your behind and find them…..motivated yet? Well what are you waiting for, go online and check out what’s in your area for this weekend!